Monday, December 8, 2008

Why can't they just call it plastic?

I started working in an Elementary school in Modiin in September. There were many things to learn, as it is with any new job. There was one thing that took me a while to get over, however. In America, all businesses, schools, and organizations file their papers the same way-- in manilla folders which are then placed in filing cabinets. In Staples, there are whole aisles dedicated to manilla filing folders, different sizes, colors, quality... Clearly this was one of those things I took for granted. In my school, (and I'm begining to think this is quite common in other offices as well), instead of manilla folders, files are stored in clear plastic filing bags, called "nylons". Instead of being arranged in filing cabinets, they are stood up and placed in these triangular cardboard boxes, or in larger-than-life-binders. Now, you might ask, so what? whats the big deal? I''ll tell you. Its inefficient. Sure, its cute that you can see the whole front page of what youre filing, but the negatives far outweigh the positives here. First of all, as I was trained by my wonderful fifth grade teacher, Mrs. Sobel: always use paper over plastic. Paper is easily recycled, plastic is not. duh. (With the exception of D.O. who thinks recycling is stupid). Paper files stack well, where as plastic bags are slippery and they slide. Paper ensures that the contents are confidential and unexposed. Paper folders open easily and are easy to jot notes on, as opposed to plastic. Paper folders allow you to flip through an entire file in seconds, whereas for the plastic ones, the contents first need to be removed from the bag to leaf through, and then returned afterwards. I think I rest my case. But most disturbing of all, is that in my school- where plastic reigns... they give the injured kids cubes of ice wrapped in paper towels-- I kid you not! Don't tell anyone, but whenever I give a kid ice for a bruise, I steal one of the plastic filing bags, and give it to them in that. As if getting hurt isn't bad enough, you also have to get wet??

No comments: