Monday, February 16, 2009

Midnight meeting: Alice in Wonderland or Peter Pan ?

Last night we had one of our "midnight meetings" in school. I call them that because when you attend them, you don't get to bed before 12. Let me explain: They are mandatory in-service meetings that occur one every other week, from 8-10:30 PM. I know! Could you believe?! Its just crazy. In the beginning of the year I was all grumpy and resentful about it. Now, I realize that there is not one single person there who wants to be there, so I take comfort in the fact that we're all suffering together. Anyway, at this particular meeting we were having a workshop on classroom management, discipline, and communication. It was the fourth session so far in the series, and while the presenter is knowledgable and interesting, my brain shuts off at about 9, so by the time he gets started he only has about a half hour of my attention. Shame. Anyway, its about 10PM, and I am starting to doze, I notice that there is a piece of looseleaf paper that is being passed around. I watch and observe: every one of my colleagues stops, reads and decides whether to sign or not, and then passes it on. My curiosity is perked and I anxiously await to read the notice for myself. I'm secretly hoping that its a petition against coming to these midnight meetings, or maybe its a petition about how to handle discipline in the school...I really am very curious. Finally it gets to me and I read it. It reads the following: "Whoever wants to be part of the Alice-in Wonderland group costume for Purim, sign below". I'm taken aback by the foolishness of the notice, and diappointed that its not the petition I was hoping for. Once I get over that, I don't know what to do. I don't want to sign up impulsively for this constume thing- what if my "friends" i.e. first grade co-teachers, who hadn't gotten the notice yet, won't sign up, and instead are planning their own group costume? Then I'd be all alone with a group of rabbits and bunny holes that I didn't know... I figured I would consult with them after the meeting, and in the meantime I would just pass on the note unsigned. I was curious to see though what would happen when the note reached my Vice Principal, who was sitting just 4 or 5 seats beyond me. How would she react? Would she be upset that such a trivial note is being passed around in the middle of a lecture, would she read it disapprovingly but sign it anyway, or would she be gung ho, middle of lecture and all. Well, those who guessed the last option are correct. I studied her reaction; She read it, she chuckled, she signed, and then she passed it on! This place is crazy I thought to myself. In what other school would such a thing happen? Now, a description of the V.P. is in order. She is petite, dark skin, young to mid forties. In the begining of the year her hair was short, reddish-purple. For the first few months of school whenever I would eavesdrop on a conversation between her and another teacher, it would always be about her hair. I kid you not. She would explain that she's growing it out because she has dreams of going curly. Well, its now chin length, and she got a perm, so its frizzy, and her dreams have been fulfilled. She wears leggings to school almost every day. Either with crocs or little booties. When she wears the leggings with little booties, she really really looks like Peter Pan. Trust me! I was so surprised that she signed up for Alice in Wonderland. All this time I thought she was headed in a completely different direction!

No comments: