Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Sof-Shavua Raguah (Relaxing Weekend)

Every Friday, on my way home from school, I hear on the radio an advertisement that says sof shavua raguah... in a singy songy tune, and I always sigh and say to myself, "If only my weekend realy was relaxing..." My weekend is a one day break from school. By the time you start to forget about school, shabbat is over, and I'm planning lessons again. But, last week I actually managed to have a relaxing weekend! The trick was to DO SOMETHING on Friday afternoon. That is, aside from preps for shabbat and Ayelet-naps. Early last week, we decided that we would go to the beach Friday afternoon. That meant that we got all of shabbat ready before. Yaakov picked me up from school and we went straight to Bat Yam, the closest beach to us. We had a fabulous time. With Israeli disco music playing in the background, Ayelet and Yaakov played in the sand and ran alongside the water, and I got to take a nap in the sun. We had fun watching how the locals were enjoying the beach too. One of the men there was particularly interesting... A chassidish looking guy in his twenties- beard, payot... ran onto the sand, stripped down to tighty-whities and ran into the water. A couple of seconds later, I see him using my beach a a mikveh! Yup, thats right. It was quite methodical, actually. After he finished undressing, dunking, and re-dressing, he ran right back out of the water, quickly put on pants and ran off, just like he came. It reminded me of the Batman movies- Batman appears out of nowhere, takes care of business, and then dissapears into thin air the same way he came.
Anyway, it was wonderful to be there, despite the naked chassid, and it really felt like a getaway. Now I know what a sof shavua raguah feels like!

No comments: