Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Matza and Peanut Butter

As I sit here writing this, some of you are eating a nice big bowl of Cheerios or maybe a grilled cheese sandwich, and some of you are still chowing down on some matza brei. Our religion is so weird, isn't it? This morning however, I ate none of those. I ate matza with peanut butter and jelly. Now, why on earth would I still be eating matza if I don't have to?! Maybe its becuase I wanted to know what it felt like to be able to eat kitniyot on Pesach. No, thats not it. Maybe its because I wanted to comiserate with all you chutznikim, and go for one more day. No, thats not it either. The real answer is that when the WHOLE COUNTRY plans on going shopping for chametz products motzaei chag, you want to stay as far away as possible. I mean, Israelis are unpleasant enough at Supersol even when they're NOT hungry. So I decided that I will hold off as long as possible. I figure I'll avoid the morning rush, and go out there this afternoon. I have to say though, that having one less day of forced matza makes all the difference. I'm so used to planning out that first chametz meal for hours and hours. You could go with the traditional pizza, or a bowl of your favorite cereal, or maybe just go out for some good ice cream. But honestly, I didn't feel that way here at all, which is why its 10:15 AM. and I haven't eaten chamtz yet, but whose counting?

As painful and exhausting as the pre game cleaning and cooking is, I'm begining to think that the post game is worse. I had a week off before Pesach. I cleaned and organized and bought and cooked leisurely. There was an excitement in the air. By now, I've had enough of all of that, but I can't go on eating matza and peanut butter forever. (I probably could last a while on that, but I don't think it would be very good for me). The real chametz has to come out sooner or later and that means everything else must be away. Who has energy for this? I don't think anyone does. Maybe thats why everyone forces themselves to turn over their kitchen immediately after Pesach, chik chok. If I didn't live in an apt. where the kitchen is 3 steps away from the lightest sleeper of all time, maybe I would have mustered up the energy to do it last night too. What did I do instead? Uploaded my pics! Its a good think I have a blog, or else what would I do to procrastinate right now? Back to the kitchen...

No comments: